Sunday 17 May 2009

Like a River

On Tuesday I went for a portfolio visit at the Branding agency Like a River. I don’t know Manchester very well so I went the day before to try and find the agency. I’m glad I did this, as I couldn’t find it so got a taxi there on the Tuesday.

The visit itself was really useful. Rob spoke to me about what he thought about my portfolio and explained to me which bits he found to be the stronger pieces and those that could be maybe replaced next year.

The first thing that Rob commented on was the layout of my portfolio. He said that is was excellent and very professional, which I was extremely happy about, as I had spent a lot of time on refining it. The pieces that Rob thought were strongest were my Cumberland Pencil Museum Poster, and the NYC Bowling Championship identity and application project. He liked these more as they had an idea behind them and weren’t purely aesthetic. He also like the look of my editorial magazine but thought that it just looked good, there was no real thinking / an idea behind it. I know that he is the designer and knows best but I slightly disagree with this as I feel there was an idea behind my magazine.

Overall my visit went well and Rob said to me that I could go in and show him my work again, either on my own or with a few of my other classmates, if I ever need a designer’s advice. He also said I could email him any of my work and if I needed any work to do in my spare time then he could email me some briefs too. I really appreciated all of Robs advice and found it really helpful to be able to speak to a designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment