Friday 12 March 2010

Studio Special

Studio Special was one of the agencies I visited during my trip to London. Myself, Michele and Kat took our portfolios to the studio to see the designer David Lovelock. He began by telling us a bit about himself, how he came to London and the creation of Studio Special. He then went on to talk to us about some of the projects he'd worked on.

We each showed David our work. While showing him my editorial work he advised me to talk more about the design decisions I made rather than the brief as this is what a designer would be more interested in. As it stood I was discussing what the brief was about and what the article consisted of but he told me to talk about why I chose to design the identity in the way that I did and why I chose to carry out the identity through the magazine with blocks of colour etc. David liked the way I had done this but wanted me to expand more on why. He then showed me an editorial piece that he had produced.

David liked my NYC Bowling Championship identity work and said that I should apply more ambient ideas to it by maybe using a birds eye view of New York and highlighting buildings in white to look like pins. Again he advised me to speak about why I had chosen the colours for the logo (one black and one pink) as the designer wants to know the reasoning behind the decision.

He also gave me some advise about my Kitchen of Meaning work telling me to maybe add a strapline to the poster so that the viewer 'get's it' quicker. He also suggested maybe placing it in a magazine or newspaper to show it in situ rather than in a bus stop ad shell as it has more relevance.

Overall this visit was very helpful and I received some really useful feedback and advise not only on how to improve my work but on how to present it to a design. David was really helpful and even took the time to advise us on where to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment